walls a single-light trefoiled window with a string-course returned over it in the form of a two-centred arch. in foliage wreaths with angels, probably : Monuments: In tower—reset against the N. wall, (2) of Charles Eldridge, 1846, Sarah his wife, and another later, black and white marble tablet on lion-leg supports. of chancel, (3) of Joseph Seward, 1717, Mary his wife, and others, table-tomb. Chaffey, 1786, and others; (3) of Mary, wife of Reuben Tripp, 1792, and others; (4) of Sarah Eleanor Mason, 1850; (5) of William Ensor, 178.; (6) of Elizabeth Justans, 1757; (7) of William Gaylard, 1722. aisle, (8) of Mary Griffen, 1714, and others; (9) of Henry Duffield, 1760, and others; (10) of Elizabeth King, 1800, and others. The elegant front sets back behind the present building line; it has a plinth with chamfered stone weathering, a simple cornice with fluting and round sinkings in the frieze and a cementrendered parapet wall. The timber door-case in the middle has a continuous fluted architrave round the doorway and semicircular fanlight, with flanking console-brackets supporting entablature blocks to an open pediment with dentil cornice framing a reeded oval medallion and draped garlands of foliage; the whole is of much refinement. Panelling in two rooms, partly rearranged to fit round the 18th-century windows, has moulded framing, an enriched frieze and moulded cornice and is divided into bays by pilasters. fireplace has a four-centred head and moulded stone reveals in a timber surround comprising flanking columns supporting an enriched cornice-shelf and an overmantel divided into bays by coupled columns supporting an entablature with arabesque enrichment on the frieze, the bays containing blind semicircular arches springing from small turned columns and with enriched archivolts and jewelled spandrels. fireplace has moulded stone reveals with plain stops and a flat four-centred head with sunk spandrels; the timber surround has coupled side columns on pedestals supporting a moulded cornice-shelf and an overmantel generally similar in arrangement to that just described, with pendants at the apex of the arches and a deep entablature with foliated consoles, carving on the frieze and shaped dentils. It was built in the last quarter of the 18th century; the interior has been altered and modernised.
Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1970. Paul, Covent Garden, of £5 out of his properties in St. tower, square bowl, each face with arcading of round-headed sunk panels, 12th-century, disused. Inside, the principal rooms have moulded plaster cornices and an upper room retains an original iron firegrate. The doorways, at opposite ends of the two houses, have semicircular heads of two rings of brickwork. Thorough remodelling in modern times includes the further heightening of the front wall. front is a 17th-century stone oriel window of three lights with hollow-chamfered mullions and canted side lights; the two lower storeys of the N.
The more complete pavements are preserved in the County Museum, including two from buildings outside the walls. walls each contain a single-light window, with internal treatment similar to that of the E. an archway with a two-centred head opening into the side chapels; both archways have half-octagonal responds with moulded caps and bases. The chapels are generally alike; each contains in the E. wall a reset and restored late 15th or early 16th-century window of four pointed trefoiled lights with tracery in a segmental-pointed head with a moulded label. The name Charles Street was at first applied to the section alongside Wollaston House when the latter was built in 1786 (Minutes of Council Meeting 14 Aug. side only a few buildings of the first half of the century survive. The date of erection is indicated by a terracotta panel at the front inscribed JEN 1713. 32 Glyde Path Road, formerly the 'Mason's Arms', may be of the late 17th or early 18th century. 19, and the 'Dorchester Arms', public house, of three storeys with cellars, are similar to the foregoing but have the ground floor stuccoed and rusticated and have a moulded eaves cornice. 21, now municipal offices, is of three storeys and of brick with a stuccoed front; it was built in the early 19th century. of the church, of coursed rubble, is roofed with thatch now covered with corrugated iron. (155) Junction Hotel, Great Western Road, has stuccoed walls and slated roof.
Extra-mural remains of the Roman period also include cemeteries, of which the most notable are those adjoining Poundbury and Fordington church, the aqueduct 12 miles long, presumably intended to supply public baths and fountains, and the amphitheatre of Maumbury Rings. part of the town on the site of the prison and further E. in 1775 have left only a few houses of the 16th and 17th centuries, mostly in the main streets. and dated 1854 was made for the purposes of the Public Health Act, 1848, and is held by the Borough Surveyor. The early 19th century brought considerable rebuilding and infilling in the old village but very little enlargement of the built-up area. All Saints is a 19th-century Gothic church of some distinction and, in it, the 17th-century carving of the Royal Arms is notable. by 21 ft.) has, outside, a moulded plinth containing an inscribed foundation stone and moulded stone cornices to the side walls carved with laudatory inscriptions. window is of five lights with net tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded rear arch supported on slender jamb-shafts with moulded bases and caps. wall a three-light window with net tracery in a two-centred head and, in the outside lateral wall, a two-light window similar in detail to that in the E. In the external re-entrant angles with the chancel are projecting stair turrets; these have doorways with shouldered heads; they gave access to galleries, now removed. Church Street Church Street joins Durngate Street to High East Street immediately E. Hutchins' map shows it fully built up and containing Whetstone's Almshouses, which were later rebuilt in West Walks. 8, of rubble, is probably of the 17th century but retains no original features except a four-centred door-head, reset. The front has a nearly central doorway flanked by two small windows, all of which have inserted flat-arched heads with keystones. 3 and 4, though structurally separate, were built at the same time; No. The doorway is set to one side and, with a semicircular fanlight, is framed by slender columns supporting a cornice; the windows are plain, but those on the first floor are set within a shallow blind arcade of three round arches springing from pilasters with moulded caps, rising from a plat-band at first-floor level. It was built probably in the 17th century; a back part was added on the N. side in the late 18th century, and considerable alterations have been made later. It may have been associated with the house of the Churchill family that formerly stood 'in the part of Fordington called Britain' (Hutchins II, 792). It was built in the late 18th century and has been much enlarged. front has the openings symmetrically arranged but set off centre; the doorway, with a hood carried on shaped brackets, is flanked by large windows with hung sashes in three lights of unequal widths; above are three smaller hung-sash windows and a plain parapet. 33 Great Western Road, was built in the second quarter of the 19th century; the lower part has been gutted and enlarged to form a shop. It is of two storeys and attics, of brickwork, rendered, and has slated hipped roofs. front is symmetrical, in five bays, with a plinth, a plat-band that forms a continuous sill to the first-floor windows, a moulded cornice and a parapet.
45 High East Street (Monument 46) greater depth than a single span roof would cover was achieved under a short secondary roof gabled to the rear. 6 and 7 High West Street (Monuments 49 and 50) also made use of gables to the rear for greater depth, and had narrow wings at the back as well. 63B High West Street (Monument 80), facing Grey School Passage, with two rooms flanking a central chimney is of a rural type more common in S. Houses of two-room depth are uncommon before the 19th century except for the few isolated larger houses such as Wollaston House and No. Three detailed maps of Dorchester illustrate the later development of the town: Hutchins' map (1st ed. 23 and 23A High West Street, South Lodge and Wollaston House; of the 19th century, the church of All Saints, the Town Hall, the King's Arms Hotel, the front of the Antelope Hotel, No. The walls are of squared and regular coursed local stone rubble with dressings of Ham Hill stone and the roofs are slate or tile-covered. There are a few early Victorian cottages and the following: (120) Houses, Nos. The predecessor of the Victorian Corn Exchange extended over a covered passage which formed the S. The business importance of North Square in the early 19th century is reflected in the building of several houses of three storeys. 3–5, of two storeys with cellars and attics and of rubble with brick fronts, have tiled mansard roofs; No. Earlier the footways through the inn yards of the Antelope (to Cornhill) and the Royal Oak (to High West Street) were of considerable importance. 4, is of two storeys and of rubble with a brick front and was built early in the 18th century. of the church, of two storeys and of rubble with a tiled roof, was built probably in the late 17th or early 18th century. front is rendered; it has a central doorway above which is a two-light window; widely spaced to each side on each floor is a window of three lights; all the windows have hollow-chamfered mullions. The plan of the ground floor comprises four rooms of equal size, with a wide entrance hall and a staircase in the middle. At the wall-head is a moulded ceiling cornice with an acanthus frieze. The entrance hall is spanned by a three-centred archway forming a lobby at the front, and the staircase has a simply-moulded mahogany rail with balusters of square section. 30–38, are of three storeys with rendered fronts and slated roofs; they were built in the second quarter of the 19th century. 30, 31 have shop windows; the remains of painted signs show that other houses have also been used for commercial purposes. of The Grove (687909), formerly the Parsonage of Christ Church (built 1848 and now demolished), is of two storeys and attics and of brick with a slated mansard roof. These are now used for lines of pens during fairs but were part of Beggars Knap Furlong (arable) in 1844 (Fordington Tithe Map (1844); R.
I, 370) shows the town in 1771; a large-scale map showing municipal property is dated in a later hand '. The old church on the site was destroyed by fire in 1613. 47, 48, 50, have rubble walls and are probably of the late 18th century. 50 was built as two houses and has been extensively modernised. The ground-floor windows and doorway have three-centred heads and a brick band marks the first floor. George's church, was converted into flats in recent years with the destruction or concealment of all original features except a 16th-century carved panel, which was reset high up in the S. It comprises a main range and a gabled wing; a porch and bay window are later additions.